Sunday, August 31, 2008

Chuao Chocolatier ChocoPod- Spicy Maya

Photobucket
At this point I think we all know I clearly have a love of spicy chocolate...
It's not as if I have done a lot to hide that fact or even remotely deny it.
No, instead I am always on the hunt for something new and fiery. Maybe even something that will make smoke come out my mouth and little flames appear in my pupils (Hey I have seen it happen on Itchy & Scratchy more then once!).

Today's venture on my odysseys to burn all of the taste buds off my tongue is Chuao Chocolatier's Spicy Maya Choco Pod.

First I like the whole pod delivery system. It's a cute little 11 gram serving shaped like a cacao pod:
Photobucket

The Spicy Maya is a 60% dark chocolate that has pasilla chile, cayenne pepper and cinnamon. Smelling it is like smelling a solid version of Abuelita. It's vaguely smokey, peppery and mostly cinnamon and is a smell I happen to love.

Biting into the bar it has a nice snap and the quality of the chocolate comes right out, it's not the creamiest bar (c'mon it is 60%) but it's sweet and manages to be not too biter.

In terms of the heat, the strongest flavor to me was the cinnamon and that leads to the last notes being the cayenne. I personally didn't get a very strong sense of the pasilla chile. If you allow the bar to slowly melt on your tongue you will get the a gentle version of the burn we chiliheads crave (how I do love the burn!)

All around I really liked this bar. I didn't get that "Arrooooga!!" moment I have been searching for but I did get a spicy treat

PURCHASED FROM:
Vons Supermarket

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh man these look right up my street! I absolutly adore the use of chilli in chocolate - I just the love the warmth to the aftertaste it provides!! IM gonnna have to get hold of some of these bad boys!

Great review thanks GI!
Jim