Saturday, September 5, 2009

Pomx Iced Coffee: Chocolate



I have yet to meet a Pom drink that I haven't liked. And I had been meaning to try the Pomx Iced Coffee forever and a day, but I just never got around to it. Well, now I have. And that has proven to be a beautiful thing.

Pomx Iced Coffee doesn't actually contain any pomegranates, nor does it taste like pom juice or tea, but it does contain PomX: a polyphenol antioxidant that Pom has developed that has various high concentrations of things like flavonoids, tannins, ellagic acid and love. Okay, I made the love part up. But I am sure the good people at Pom at least like you as a friend.

So, amazing health benefits, warm and fuzzy feelings and incredibly cute packaging aside...

Let's talk about what's important: the taste.



Looking at the drink in a glass, I have to admit it looks a lot more like Yoohoo than a bottled Frappucino. It's milky chocolate brown and has a thinner texture that is, again, closer to Yoohoo than to a dairy based drink. But the coffee does contain milk that is both nonfat and rBGH free.

The initial taste reminded me of homemade chocolate milk made with A LOT of chocolate syrup (as far as I am concerned you know you've made a good glass when there is a half inch of chocolate sludge on the bottom). The coffee (Arabica beans) definitely takes a back seat to the chocolate. You can taste it at its strongest point right when the chocolate notes die down. I'd go almost as far to say that if you didn't know it was supposed to be there, you might not notice it was supposed to be coffee. But I like the fact that there is no bitterness and at the same time it's not overly sweet. If you're looking for an iced coffee drink that has a really strong coffee flavor, this one may not be your first choice.

But you would be missing out, because the chocolate is really good.



PURCHASED FROM:
Sample From Company


No comments: