Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Dreyer's/Edy's Grand Ice Cream: Coffee



Well, here's something novel...a Dreyer's/Edy's dessert that is still actual ICE CREAM!

I know, I know. I was pretty surprised myself. Didn't think they still made any, seeing as they seem to believe that something else euphemistically called "frozen dairy dessert" is all the rage these days...



That said, good coffee ice cream is one of those rare gifts from the flavor gods. Coffee was the flavor I would beg for as a kid (I was the only one who liked it). I was, after all, a child coffee addict.



So how does Dreyer's/Edy's stand up (besides the shock of them still producing an actual ice cream)?

Pretty good. The coffee has a nice strong flavor. It's creamy and sweet, but it's not so sweet that it loses grown-up coffeeness. But at the same time it's not in any way bitter. It's a nearly perfect balance.

Texture-wise, it's not as rich as a super premium ice cream would be, but it is creamy and reasonably smooth. Not as smooth, oddly enough, as Dreyer's/Edy's so-called Fun Flavors -- that is, "frozen dairy desserts" rather than real ice cream -- but that is probably because of additives that aren't in the Grand Ice Cream line.

This is not my very favorite coffee ice cream (Haagen-Dazs still wins; sorry, guys) but it is a very respectable version.



PURCHASED FROM:
Vons Supermarket


No comments: