Monday, January 18, 2010

KFC Fiery Grilled Wings



As you may have guessed by now, I will try pretty much anything with the words "fiery" or "hot" in the title. I looooooove spicy food the way Eric Cartman loves Cheesy Poofs. My main complaint with most mass-marketed "spicy" items is that they tend to be quite low on the heat scale. Yes, I know there are many people who consider the mild sauce at Taco Bell to be the spiciest thing known to man. (Fact: Taco Bell's mild sauce is so tame that my cat laps it up if I leave an opened packet unattended.) And I think most mass-marketed "spicy" food is made with those people in mind.



So how would KFC's new Fiery Grilled Wings rate? The wings are actually marinated in peppers and spices and then grilled, resulting in a hot, hot wing.



That sounds all puppies and rainbows but how does it really taste?

Actually, they're pretty good. Do I personally think they are hot or spicy? HELLLLLL NO! On my personal one-to-ten heat scale, they are maybe, maybe a two at their strongest. But I am going to agree with Marvo's review (read it here) and say that I think most people would rate them about a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10.



The overall flavor is like KFC and El Pollo Loco had a sort of a love child. There's a nice peppery bite, but it also has that faux-grilled taste that I don't really like in the regular grilled product -- but it works well here.

These are some good wings! OK, they can't begin to compete with the absolutely orgasmic wings you'll find in any number of scary-looking independent barbecue joints throughout the Deep South, I will concede that. But for fast food wings...this is truly about as good as they come.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope they are trialing this in the US with the idea of extending this grilled stuff worldwide.

We have a placed called Nandos in the UK though so I am not sure it would take off that much.