Thursday, February 18, 2010

Peeps: Vanilla Creme Hearts



I know Valentine's Day has come and gone, and with it all the forced romance and tensions it brings (can you tell it is not my favorite holiday?). Still on my quest to try more of the Peeps offerings (and my desire to light candy on fire), I have in my hot little hands a package of the Peeps Vanilla Creme Hearts.



Hmm. These might have been the right Valentine candy for me. Each smooshy white heart has little red speckles on it -- sort of like a case of self-induced Ebola, brought on as a means of suicide as a viable alternative to sitting through one more Meg Ryan movie where she's just sooooooo-o-o-o-o-o damn cute and perky, and yet that mean old Tom Hanks doesn't realize it until three quarters of the way through, and then she may not like him anymore, and then they FINALLY get together and...oh hell, if you don't get the point as to why I would rather have Ebola than sit through that, I don't know what blog you've been reading. And if you dare criticize that ridiculous run-on sentence in this context, I shall wish Ebola upon you.



So how do they taste?

Well, let's talk about the smell first. It is like a mix of vanilla frosting and store brand marshmallows. It's sweet, but in a good way. It reminded me a lot of some perfume aimed at tweens.



That's actually kind of how they tasted, too. And once again, I mean that in a good way. The flavor is strongly on the fake vanilla side -- OK, check that. It's entirely on the fake vanilla side. But it's one of those times when it was just so bad and fake that it was kinda good. It's basically like somewhat solidified, canned vanilla frosting.

Now -- as has become customary on my Peeps reviews -- what happens when you attempt to "toast" them? Remember, kids, Gigi is not saying it is a good idea to play with fire. And toasting of anything should only be done by adults under the strictest of safety. And if you do it anyway and burn your house down, remember I told you not to be a dumb ass.



These Peeps were more flame-resistant than their strawberry siblings, but not as tough to ignite as the Chocolate Mousse Reindeer. They will in fact catch fire, although a bit weakly (which the reindeer wouldn't do at all).

I liked the taste of the Vanilla Creme toasted. It caramelizes easily and tastes more like a regular marshmallow. I may have toasted several just to triple check my opinion on this...

Of the flavored Peeps this one is the best I have had so far!



PURCHASED FROM:
Shop Rite

PRICE:

$.97

CALORIES:

100 calories per 3 heart serving

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Fat free, gluten free

OFFICIAL WEBSITE:

marshmallowpeeps.com

No comments: